Saturday, December 4, 2010

Routes and Branches Play List 12/04/10

Today's show was a tribute to one of my favorite DJ's, Mr. Felton Pruitt and his "Fat Music Show".
Years ago before Routes & Branches ever was a program, KRVM broadcasted the "Fat Music Show". I'm not sure when the show ended, but while I was going through some old cassette tapes I came across a show featuring Priutt's top 20 count down for the year 1997. I was able to put together the show list and went about trying to obtain a copy of the album (or at least song) to play on today's show. 20 Cds, 13 years old, how hard can it be to put this together? I must tell you it was harder that it looked. First of all not all of Pruitt's choices were big commercial hits, not that I mind, good music is good music. I started with the KRVM record libraries and found about a third of the list, followed by searching the local record stores and the library for a few more. I then looked on I-tunes to find the last songs and still came up short of the entire list. So deciding that this was all that I could give to this experiment, I have put together the following show with notes where I missed the list.
Along with researching the music for this show I looked up Felton Pruitt up on the Internet and I did find that he is on the air at KVMR (Are these call letters only a coincident?) in California every Monday afternoon. You can find more information at: http://www.kvmr.org/programs/fms/index.html

I started the show with A Danny Barnes tune by Keller and The Keels, because Barnes is playing in the area tonight and the album is named "Thief" which seemed to me a good title for today's show. What can I say, I was playing a cover show.


Artist-Song-Source

3pm.
Keller Williams - Get It While You Can - Thief
20-Dale Watson - Hey Driver - I Hate These Songs
19-Lavay Smith & Her Red Hot Skillet Lickers - Blue Skies - One Hour Mama
18-Wayne Hancock - Life On The Road - That's What Daddy Wants
17-Jack Ingram - Picture On My Wall - Livin' or Dyin'
16-James McMurtry - For all I Know - It Had To Happen
15-Whiskey Town - 16 Days - Strangers Almanac
14-Etta James - Don't Touch Me - Love's been Rough on Me
Note: Pruitt originally play the song "The Rock" from this same CD.
13-Buddy Miller - 100 Million Little Bombs - Poison Love
12-John Fogerty - A Hundred and Ten In The Shade - Blue Moon Swamp
Note: the next tune by Neal Coty was on Pruitt's list, but I was unable to obtain a copy of the song before airing this show and was not played on today's show.
11-Neal Coty - Lost & Driftin' - Chance & Circumstance
10-Tim O'Brien - Kick Me When I'm Down - When No One's Around
9-Toni Price - Freeway - Sol Power

4pm.
8-Jamie Hartford - Somebody's Gonna Pay - What About Yes
Note:I really wish I had been able to get a good copy of that Jamie Hartford song because it is great. Instead I played "Back In The Goodle Days" from Hartford's album "Part of Your History: The Songs of John Hartford"
7-Bottle Rockets - Indianapolis - 24 Hours a Day
6-William Topley - (I Don't Wanna Go) Uptown - Black River
5-Fred Eaglesmith - 105 - Lipstick, Lies & Gasoline
4-Robert Earl Keen - Shades Of Gray - Picnic
3-Delbert McClinton - You Were Never Mine - One Of The Fortunate Few
2-Paul McCartney - The Song We Were Singing - Flaming Pie
1-Steve Earle - Telephone Road - El Corazon
Jerry Jeff Walker - Desperados Waiting For A Train - Viva Terlingua
Buddy Miller - That's How Strong My Love Is - Poison Love
Black Prairie - Across The Black Prairie - Feast Of The Hunter's Moon
John Shipe - Villain - Villain

No comments: