Saturday, January 1, 2011

Routes and Branches Play List 01/01/11

I had so many favorite new discs from this past year that I couldn't fit them all into one show which I played two weeks ago, so today I tried to fit as many of the rest into another short 2-hours. I started with Jason and The Scorchers recent album "Halcyon Times" which I would have fit into the earlier show had I received it before then. Not only is "Halcyon Times" the first album in years from JATS, but in my opp ion it is one of their best albums ever. The JATS tune that I played, "Beat On The Mountain" was also released on the album "Coal Country Music" which is a compilation of several artists in support of the effort to reduce the mountain top mining of coal in the Appalachian mountains, so I played Tom T. Hall singing "I'm A Coal Mining Man".
This lead me into the other compilation CDs which I liked this year, including "Crazy Heart", "Twistable Turnable Man" and "East Nashville Vol. 3 More Music from The Other Side". It is a shame that I only had time to feature a single track from each of these discs since there are many artists and songs worth playing on each.


Artist-Song-Source

3pm.
Jason And The Scorchers - Beat On The Mountain - Halcyon Times
Tom T. Hall - I'm A Coal Mining Man - Coal Country Music
Ryan Bingham - The Weary Kind - Crazy Heart
Kris Kristofferson - The Winner - Twistable Turnable Man
Chuck Mead - I Wish It Was Friday - East Nashville Vol. 3 More Music from The Other
Side
Elizabeth Cook - El Camino - Welder
Sahara Smith - The Real Thing - Myth Of The Heart
John Francis - Johnny Cash On The Radio - The Better Angels
Paul Thorn - I Don't Like Half The Folks I Love - Pimps and Preachers
Wynn Taylor - Don't Think It Matters - Wynn Taylor & The Working Poor
Jim Lauderdale - Patchwork River - Patchwork River
7 Walkers - 7 Walkers - 7 Walkers

4pm.
Otis Gibbs - Outdated, Frustrated and Blue - Joe Hill's Ashes
John Mellencamp - No Better Than This - No Better Than This
WJ McEachern - Way After Dark - Knee Deep
Martin Sexton - Long Haul - Sugarcoating
Stan Ridgeway - Big Green Tree - Neon Mirage
JJ Grey & Mofro - The Sweetest Thing - Georgia Warhorse
Eric Clapton - River Runs Deep - Clapton
Elliot Randall & The Dead Men - Caffeine & Gasoline - Caffeine & Gasoline
Elvis Costello - National Ransom - National Ransom
Alejandro Escovedo - Anchor - Street Songs Of Love
Marty Stuart - Country Boy Rock & Roll - Ghost Train
Railroad Earth - The Jupiter & The 119 - Railroad Earth

No comments: