Sunday, January 10, 2010

Routes and Branches Play List 01/09/10

This week while I was preparing for my show I saw that Hayes Carll was coming to Portland on the 19th and 20th of this month but not Eugene. Then as I looked a little closer I realized that the reason he wasn't stopping by Eugene this time around was that he was touring with Steve Earll. I didn't even know that Steve was making it out to the west coast. I'm a big fan of Steve Earll but I never have seen him perform. With Hayes Carll opening, these ought to be a couple of hot shows. I don't know if I can make both, but I'm going to try and make one of them.

A few new discs into the station that I liked this week. Ray Wylie Hubbard has released a disc he calls "A. Enlightenment B. Endarkenment (Hint: There Is No C)". It has a number of good tunes on it including "Drunken Poets Dream" which was co-written with Hayes Carll.
Another new disc that I liked this week is from Seattle artist Barton Carroll. His new disc is called "Together You And I". This is Carroll's Fourth release, but the first one that I'm familiar with. From listening to these songs it makes me want to check out his earlier releases.

The final disc on my new list this week is actually a movie sound track that was produced by T. Bome Burnett and the late Stephen Bruton called "Crazy Heart". The movie is out is some theaters but none locally yet. It stars Jeff Bridges as Bad Blake, a grizzled singer-songwriter now performing on the Southwestern bowling alley circuit. Bridges plays about a third of the songs on the disc with the others from artists like Buck Owens, Lightin' Hopkins, Townes Van Zandt and Ryan Bingham. Bingham has two songs including the theme song called "The Weary Kind". "Crazy Heart" is a great disc of music, I hope the movie is just as good.


Artist-Song-Source

3pm.
Steve Earle - Pancho & Lefty - Townes
Justin Townes Earle - Mama's Eyes - Midnight At The Movies
Levon Helm - When I Go Away - Electric Dirt
Stagger And Sway - Rubber To The Road - Time Changes
Barton Carroll - The Poor Boy Can't Dance - Together You And I
Dave Matthews Band - Alligator Pie - Big Whiskey
Robert Earl Keen - 10,000 Chinese Walk Into A Bar - The Rose Hotel
Matt The Electrician - Bridge To Nowhere - Animal Boy
Todd Snider - America's Favorite Pastime - The Excitement Plan
Pert' Near Sandstone - Colored Aristocracy - Needle & Thread
Neil Young - Unknown Legend - Dreamin' Man Live
Townes Van Zandt - If I Needed You - Crazy Heart
Ryan Bingham - The Weary Kind - Crazy Heart

4pm.
Jay Farrar & Ben Gibbard - One Fast Move Or I'm Gone - One Fast Move Or I'm Gone
Ray Wylie Hubbard - Drunken Poet's Dream - A. Enlightenment B. Endarkenment (Hint: There Is No C)
Hayes Crall - Bad Liver And A Broken Heart - Trouble In Mind
Drive By Truckers - Righteous Path - Brighter Than Creation's Dark
The Whopner County Country Allstars - City Limits - It's Too Loud!
The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band - Worn Out Shoes - The Whole Fam Damnily
Dave McGraw and Crow Wing - Cat Creek - Coyotes Came Around
David Jacob's-Strain - Sawgrass Revival - Liar's Day
Buddy Miller - With God On Our Side - Universal United House Of Prayer
Earl Scruggs, Doc Watson & Ricky Skaggs - Don't Let Your Deal Go Down - The Three Pickers
Molasses - Frankie & Johnny - Green Back Dolla
Powerdove - Birdsong - Quiet Myth
Steve Earle - Colorado Girl - Townes

No comments: