Saturday, May 14, 2011

Routes and Branches Play List 05/14/11


I first saw Hayes Carll 3 years ago in 2008 when he was touring behind his just released 3rd album "Trouble In Mind". Carll played Sam Bond's Garge that night with opener Cobb Lund and by the end of the evening Hayes had us all knockin' over Whiskeys. It was a night of great Texas honky tonk barroom music.

Since then I have seen Carll a few more times including being the opening solo act for Steve Earle when Earle was on tour behind his "Tones" album. This was a different side of Carll that I had not seen before, the singer song writer, which is where Carll started out in the bars of SE Texas. That performance Showed me how well rounded Carll was as a performer whether he has a band behind him or not.

So, now I'm looking forward to seeing Hayes Carll with his band he calls "The Poor Choices" when they perform at the WOW Hall this Tuesday evening. I'm happy to see Carll's success bring him to a larger venue in town, but I'm not sure that the WOW Hall will lend it's ambiance to the show like Sam Bond's does. The Poor Choices have been Carll's touring band for a couple of years now and it is the band that he took into the studio to record his most recent album "KMAG YO YO". I really like this new record and I had a hard time choosing which cuts to play since the whole disc is great. Definitely one of my top albums of the year.

Artist-Song-Source

3pm
Hayes Carll - Drunk Poet's Dream - Trouble In Mind
Hayes Carll - Arkansas Blues - Flowers And Liquor
Hayes Carll - Little Rock - Little Rock
Ray Wylie Hubbard - Tornado Ripe - A. Enlightenment B. Endarkenment
Marcia Ball - This Used To Be Paradise - Roadside Attractions
The Band Of Heathens - Hurricane - Top Hat Crown & The Clapmaster's Son
James McMurtry - Hurricane Party - Just Us Kids
Steve Earle - This City - I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive
Sonny Landreth - Congo Square - Grant Street
Hayes Carll - A Lover Like You - Trouble In Mind
Hayes Carll - Another Like You - KMAG YO YO

4pm
Hayes Carll - Perfect Lover - Flowers And Liquor
Hayes Carll - She Left Me For Jesus - Trouble In Mind
Greg Allman - Devil got My Woman - Low Country Blues
Blackie And The Rodeo Kings - If I Can't Have you - Kings And Queens
Blackie And The Rodeo Kings - How Come You Treat Me So Bad - Kings And Queens
John Prine - She Is My Everything - Fair And Square
Guy Clark - The Guitar - Somedays The Song Writes You
Knut Bell - Skagit Days - Wicked, Ornry, Mean and Nasty
Hayes Carll - Liver And A Broken Heart - Trouble in Mind
Hayes Carll -Bottle In My Hand - KMAG YO YO
Hayes Carll - Knokin' Over Whiskes - Trouble In Mind
Hayes Carll - Flowers And Liquor - Flowers And Liquor
Hayes Carll - Hard Out Here - KMAG YO YO
Hayes Carll - KMAG YO YO - KMAG YO YO

No comments: