Saturday, April 19, 2014

Routes & Branches 4/19/14

Today is RECORD STORE DAY!!!
I have been a supporter of Record Store Day for several years now and it just keeps getting better every year. So in honor of  Record Store Day  everything I played today was on vinyl except for 2 tracks which I only had on *CD.
This type of show brings out more of my roots since I have been collecting records since they were the only way to collect music, but it also gives me a chance to play some of the music that I don't normally play because I only bring CD's to the show.

I did buy a few new releases today, the first I played is actually a rerelease of some old Creedence Crearwater Revival hits from 1969.This was a sentimental purchase because I listened to all these tunes at my local bowling alley in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa when I was 8 years old, and it has a great cover photo of the band playing on a street corner. The white vinyl is pretty cool too.
 The second new release I played was from the Drive By Truckers,  called  "Dragon Pants". This EP appears to be extra tracks that did not make it onto their recent album "English Oceans". I played  "Grandpa Rock City" which I liked more than most of the tracks on "English Oceans". The final new track that I played was the entire side C (In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed) of the Allman Brothers  contribution to Record Store Day. It is the only side I have listened to so far and I looking forward to listening to the other 3 sides later this evening. If they are anything like side C, I am in for a treat. I will let you know next week.


Artist-Song-Source
3pm
Neil Young - Cowgirl In The Sand - Crazy Horse At The Fillmore 1970
JJ Cale - Any Way The Wind Blows - Okie
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Call Me The Breeze - One More From The Road
Creedence Crearwater Revival - Born On The Bayou - The 1969 Singles (new release)
Back In The Country - Proud Mary - Back In The Country
Buddy & Julie Miller - Gasoline & Matches - Written In Chalk
Charlie Daniels Band - Rainbow Ride - Million Mile Reflections
Widespread Panic - Tall Boy - 2012 Wood Tour
Drive By Truckers - Grandpa Rock City - Dragon Pants (new release)

4pm
Allman Brothers - In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed - Selections From Play All Night (Recorded Live at The Beacon Theatre 1992) (new release)
John Hiatt - Memphis In The Meantime - Bring The Family
Lewi Longmire Band - Vanport 1948 - Tales Of The Left Coast Roasters
Rodney Crowell - Shame On The Moon - Rodney Crowell
The Sugar Beets - Sweet Ride Home - Sweet Ride Home *CD
Jerry Jeff Walker - Night Rider's Lament - Ridin' High
Ray LaMontange And The Pariah Dogs - Like Rock & Roll Radio - Live Fall 2010
Dave Alvin & Chris Gaffney - Two Lucky Bums - Eleven Eleven *CD

No comments: