Saturday, April 21, 2012

Routes & Branches 4/21/12

I am saddened this week by the passing of another great musician that I have loved and respected most of my life, Mr. Levon Helm.
I was first introduced to Helm and "The Band" by my High School teacher, Steve Sigur who used Helm as an example of what a good drummer is like in his music classes. Since High School and the break up "The Band" in '76 I didn't listen to much of Helm's solo efforts in the '80s but took a listen again in the '90s when Helm and former "Band" mates Rick Danko and Garth Hudson regrouped and put out three more albums under the name "The Band". The album "Jerico" is one of my favorite from this time period.
Since his recovery from throat cancer, Helm came back with some of his best work ever when he created his "Midnight Ramble" performances at his home studio in Woodstock. His last three CDs have all been Grammy winners including his most recent "Ramble At The Ryman". Helm leaves us at the top of his career and he will be dearly missed. Thanks for all of the good tunes. Rest well, Levon.




Artist-Song-Source

3pm
Levon Helm - Ophelia - Ramble At The Ryman
The Band - Don't Ya Tell Henry - Live At Watkins Glen
The Band - The Caves Of Jericho - Jerico
Levon Helm - Evangeline - Ramble At The Ryman
Mississippi John Hurt - Trouble, I've Had it all My Days - Last Sessions
Todd Snider - In Between Jobs - Agnostic Hymns & Stoner Fables
Paul Thorn - Don't Let Me Down Again - What The Hell Is Going On?
The Chris Robinson Brotherhood - Blue Suede Shoes - Single
Willie Nelson - Just Breathe - Heroes
Levon Helm - Tennessee Jed - Electric Dirt
Levon Helm - The Mountain - Dirt Farmer
Levon Helm - Wide River To Cross - Ramble At The Ryman

4pm
New Riders Of The Purple Sage - Prisoner Of Freedom - 17 Pine Avenue
Patrick & Giri - The Weight - Live in the KRVM Studio
Patrick & Giri - Big Yellow Taxi - Live in the KRVM Studio
Patrick & Giri - Don't Give Up - Live in the KRVM Studio
The Mastersons - The Other Shoe - Birds Fly South
Steve Earle - This City - I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive
The Huckleberrys - Working Girl - Rose Tattoo
The Band - Up On Cripple Creek - Live At Watkins Glen
The Band - When I Paint My Masterpiece - Anthology Vol II
Levon Helm - Rag Mama Rag - Ramble At The Ryman
Levon Helm - When I Go Away - Electric Dirt

No comments: