Sunday, October 30, 2011

Routes and Branches Play List 10/29/11

This week's transition song (from Magical Mystery Tour) was Danny Barnes new version of the T-Rex classic "Bang A Gong". A song that I lost a "name that band" contest to a friend when I was 18. I had heard the song on the radio all the time but I never knew who the band was. That was my first lesson in music knowledge humility. I am reminded every day that there is always more to learn about both old and new musicians and their craft. I love it when someone turns me onto something I haven't heard before which is why I play so many new releases on my show.

Being the end of October and what many consider Halloween weekend, I had a show mostly made up of songs about devils, Spooks, Haunted Houses and of course a couple about Zombies. But, along with all the spooky fun the season brings for many, this week has also been a solemn one for me with the death of a close friend and former business partner. As Hank Williams said "I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive".


Artist-Song Source

3pm
Danny Barnes - Bang A Gong (Get It On)- Rocket
Danny Barnes - Rich Boy Blues - Rocket
Fred Eaglesmith - Spookin' The Horses - Lipstick Lies & Gasoline
John Hiatt - Homeland - The Open Road
Charlie Daniels Band - Devil Went Down To Georgia - Million Mile Reflections
John Fogerty & The Blue Ridge Rangers - Haunted House - Rides Again
Bill Kirchen - Devil With The Blue Dress On - Hammer of The Honky-Tonk Gods
Brett Detar - The Devil's Gotta Earn - Bird in The Tangle
Devil Makes Three - Old Number 7 - Stomp And Smash
Stereotyped - Black To Our Grassroots - Stereotyped
Blitzen Trapper - Black River Killer - Black River Killer
Ray Bonneville - Bad Man's Blood - Bad Man's Blood
Southern Culture On The Skids - Undertaker - Zombified

4pm
Elam McKnight & Bob Bogdal - Zombiefication - Zombie Nation
Dave Alvin - The Man In The Bed - Ashgrove
Willie Nelson - Gravedigger - Moment Of Forever
Jerry Garcia, David Grisman, Tony Rice - Knockin' On Heaven's Door - The Pizza Tapes
Head for The Hills - One Foot In The Grave - Head for The Hills
Lewi Longmire Band - The Ballad of Me & Sweet Marie - Tales Of The Left Coast Roasters
Guy Clark - The Guitar - Somedays The Song Writes You
Head for The Hills - Robbers Roost - Robbers Roost
Eilen Jewell - This Haunted House - Butcher Holler
Steve Earle - I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive - Single
John Lilly - Haunted Honky Tonk - Haunted Honky Tonk
Dave Alvin - Murrietta's Head - Eleven Eleven

No comments: