Saturday, December 26, 2009

Routes and Branches Play List 12/26/09

An end of the year round up of my favorite CD's released in 2009. There was so much good music put out this year that it was hard for me to narrow my list down to fit into a 2-hour show. I may have to play another show of all the leftovers.

There is no count down or particular order to the list, but my all time favorite for this year has to be Buddy and Julie Miller's "Written In Chalk". It deserves to be the Americana Album of the year which it won back in September at the Americana Music Awards. It has the emotion and feeling of what Americana music is today.

Along with the national artists I wanted to include my favorite local releases of the year. These include the band Sideroads and their debut album called "Destinations", Patrick Kavaney and the Last Drags who recently released their second album "Darning socks For The Apocalypse" and The Whopner County Country Allstars with their second album "It's Too Loud". All three bands show a diverse talent for creating great music.

And one last note on today's play list, the Lewi Longmire album was actually released back in 2008. But, I was introduced to Lewi and his band just this year when one of the other DJs gave me his 2005 release "If I Live To Be 100" just before I left town for a road trip. Then in the summer I had the chance to see him at Sam Bond's and the Oregon Country Fair. Lewi has some great songs and puts his soul into every performance. Therefore, Lewi Longmire makes it onto my favorites of 2009 list.

I looking forward to seeing what 2010 brings.


Artist-Song-Source

3pm.
The Derek Trucks Band - Back Where I Started - Already Free
Dave Alvin & The Guilty Women - California's Burning - Dave Alvin & The Guilty Women
Lyle Lovett - Pantry - Natural Forces
Son Volt - Roll On - American Central Dust
Ryan Bingham - Dylan's Hard Rain - Roadhouse Sun
Mark Karan - Walk Through The Fire - Walk Through The Fire
Corb Lund - A Game In Town Like This - Losin' Lately Gambler
Slaid Cleaves - Hard To Believe - Everything You Love will Be Taken Away
Sideroads - Sideroads - Destinations
Patrick Kavaney & The Last Drags - Spanish Nightmare - Darning Socks For The Apocalypse
Whopner County Country Allstars - I'll Be With You Tonight - It's Too Loud
Grandpa Elliott - We're Gonna Make It - Sugar Sweet
Guy Clark - The Guitar - Somedays The Song Writes You

4pm.
Jorma Kaukonen - More Than My Old Guitar - River Of Time
Chris Smither - Don't Call Me Stranger - Time Stands Still
JJ Cale - Down To Memphis - Roll On
Steve Earle - Delta Momma Blues - Townes
Justin Townes Earle - They Killed John Henry - Midnight At The Movies
Emmitt Nershi Band - I Come From The Country - New Country Blues
Hot Buttered Rum - Something New - Limbs Akimbo
Poor Man's Whiskey - With A Smile - Darkside Of The Moonshine
New Riders Of The Purple Sage - Them Old Minglewood Blues - Where I Come From
Robert Earl Keen - The Rose Hotel - The Rose Hotel
Buddy & Julie Miller - Ellis County - Written In Chalk
Lewi Longmire Band - This Time - Fire 'Neath The Still

No comments: